Sunday 1 February 2015

We are the Future


It’s the little things in life that count, Such as smiling at a stranger on the street, or offering your seat to someone on the bus, or bringing coffee into your workplace. It’s random acts of kindness such as these that improve one’s overall mood. Now I know I usually would preach about different experiences, and how to be appreciative of everything. But I really just want to point out what I appreciate in my life. To start with, I’m forever grateful for my family and my friends and everyone I’ve been blessed enough to meet throughout my life. 
These past few months I’ve gotten the chance to meet so many unique and supportive people, and I’ve had the opportunity to surround myself with unlimited love. Everyday I’m given the opportunity to get up and go to a building where I interact with people who constantly work to make each other happy,  who encourage each other, and make the high school moments memorable. I’m surrounded by adults that inspire me to do great things, they push me, they encourage me, but mainly, they understand that I am human, and because of this, they are just here to help me along. I’ve met so many teachers in my 13 years of schooling, and sadly, it’s the rarest thing to actually be treated like a human being by them, and to be in an environment where not only am I treated like an adult, but also a friend, is so refreshing.
            I’ve learned more about myself these past few months than I have in the last 10 years, and I have the change of my surroundings to thank for that. Obviously, I’m thankful for my parents who constantly support me and encourage me to follow me dreams, because I understand that many people don’t live with the support that I am blessed with. Every day I wake up, and no matter what kind of mood I’m in, I find myself totally mesmerized by life, and completely emerged in happiness. Because I was surrounded by waves of negativity for so many years, I find myself completely thankful for everything I have.
Now enough with me, I’d like to talk about other things to be thankful for. Evidently, we should all be thankful for our parents, assuming you have a roof over your head and food on the table and a warm bed to cuddle into when you’re tired. Even if you and your parents don’t get along, please remember to be grateful to have them, because someone else would kill for what you have. That’s a good thing to remember too- we live in a world of privilege, and we need to take advantage of this, and appreciate it. Although you may not enjoy certain parts of your life, at least they are there, because some are much less fortunate than us. Also, take chances in your life, don’t fear change, don’t let these endless opportunities we are handed go to waste.
We are the generation of freedom; we are the generation that will make the difference. I’ve seen this first hand, and I have faith that we, right here and now, will change the world. Abuse the facilities you are given to learn, and learn, and learn, and never stop learning. I’ve seen teenage boys and girls fight so hard for what women were fighting for decades ago, because they’ve educated themselves on situations then and now, and they refuse to let the fight stop because “things kinda got better”. I’ve seen children open their arms wide to transgender and homosexuals and everything and anything in between because they have the ability to see everyone as humans. I’ve seen 16 year olds out there in the world fighting for what they believe is right, because we were raised to voice our opinions, to never stop, to make a difference.
And I believe that’s exactly what we will do, and I find myself forever thankful to be a part of such an educated and generous and accepting generation. And if you ever believe there’s nothing to appreciate in life, know that there is always something to feel proud about in, because you can make a difference; we all matter.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment